Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My two cents

I have gay friends. I've worked with gay and transgender people. I worked with a man that is now living happily as a woman. I've had gay friends that I would call family. I love them all. I would be there if they needed me. I would never tell any of them they are wrong or going to hell.

I'm a Christian. I believe that Jesus died on the cross to save us. I believe that because the Bible tells me so. The Bible is the most studied, criticized, scrutinized book ever written. Time and time again scholars have set out to disprove the validity of any part of the Bible--any person, any story, any timeline. One false word and critics could say its all a fake. To this day, no one has been able to say, with any proof, that their is one inaccuracy or one inconsistency (ask me for documentation if you like. I have it). The Bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. While I love my gay friends and I feel absolutely terrible for (and am against) the hate crimes, the bigotry and the inequality, I have to believe in the one thing that has held true all this time. I have to believe in the entire book, not just that parts that are happy or convenient.

Maybe some people will think that sounds wishy washy or believe a Christian can't have gay friends. I don't know what to say to that. I don't have all the answers.
I'm trying (and am usually failing) to love all and not judge others. I will love you because you are a human being, but I can't condone or support all of your choices.

I can support Chick Fil A. I can support a restaurant that has come under fire for believing in the Bible. A restaurant that doesn't change their policy to gain popularity or make an extra buck. While I believe that gay marriage will always be a "hot button" issue, I think that this controversy has been blown out of proportion in an election year. I'm glad to see so many Americans lined up around the restaurants showing their support for the Bible and not the politicians. I just wish that we (I) had the courage to stand up for all that I believe in, all the time to everyone. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying a chicken sandwich.