Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The great syrup incident of 2013

It was about 9:25 Sunday morning.  I went upstairs to get changed for church.  We had to leave in about 10minutes. I called for Ellie to come upstairs so I could comb her hair. I had been upstairs maybe 2 minutes.  Ellie and Zach came upstairs holding their hands out like they were dirty.  When they got close, I saw they were wet.  As I was asking them why their hands were wet, I realized they were sticky too. They also smelled like syrup.  After realizing if they had syrup on their hands, it was most likely on the floor in the kitchen too and having a small freak out, I started washing their hands.  Then I realized it was on their clothes, legs and Zachs hair and face.
They smelled like breakfast, but they had new clothes and most of the syrup was gone.  I walked them downstairs commenting the entire way about how we don't get into the pantry without mom and dad and how we definitely don't pull anything out without asking.
Then I saw it and the real freak out began.  Not only did they get syrup on themselves, but they had turned the open bottle up side down and carried it through the kitchen, into the dining room and stopped in the living room. They clearly stopped a few times to check out the scenery because puddles of syrup were randomly spaced between the drops and strings of syrup along the floor.  I called Jon. I wasn't sure if I should stay home and clean it and risk killing them or come to church, let it sit and worry if it will be more difficult to clean later.  He told me to come to church.   I think he was concerned for the babies well being.  I'm glad I took the time to calm down.
Some friends suggested renting a wet/dry vac.  Jon picked one up and it worked perfectly.  We had wet furniture all day, but the syrup is gone and everyone made it out alive. The pantry now has a child lock on it that I'm sure Ellie will figure out any day now.  I'm amazed every single day at how different Ben and Sam were from Ellie and Zach.  They were angels compared to the crazy we deal with every day. They better get good jobs because we're going to need a good old age home that provides a lot of therapy!!

No comments: