Sunday, April 27, 2014

Letting go

I went out yesterday for a few hours.  The kids were in the back yard and everything was normal.  When I came home, I pulled around the corner just in time to see a line of kids running through the garage and into the house.  Jon said the boys made friends and they had been out riding bikes with them and then going from house to house to play all afternoon.  I'm thrilled that they've made friends....even though so far they are all girls!  I wanted a street full of kids for them to play with.  I want a basement full of laughing, dumb kid jokes and secrets.  They didn't have any of this in Lakewood.  We had a couple kids on our street that they played with once and a while, but I wanted so much more for them.  Now we have it and a little part of me is freaking out inside.  In the 24hrs they've had these friends, they've started riding bikes in the street.  That's something we've never let them do before.  Not only are they in the street, but we can't see them the entire time. They've never been allowed to ride more than 4 or 5 house away on either side of us.  Now they have two connecting cul de sacs that we can't see.  We've also had a few times when we didn't know where the kids were.  We knew who they were with, but we didn't know whose house they were at, if they were riding bikes or something else.  This is a whole new thing for us.  I know this is how kids are.  This is normal and this is good, but its a big change in 24hrs!

No comments: