Thursday, December 7, 2017

I'm over you Catch -22

It took 25ish years, but I've finally read Joseph Hellers Catch-22.  I picked up the book a couple times in high school, but I could never make it past the first few chapters.  It was weird, kind of boring and I just couldn't keep all the characters straight.  Just before our vacation in October, I saw it in the library.  It was the 50th anniversary edition.  Its a classic so it has to be good, right?  Maybe I wasn't mature enough to appreciate it in high school.  I picked it up and was determined to read it...all of it.  After almost 2 months, I have finally finished it.  Thats two months, I'll never get back.  Its ridiculous, backwards and in many ways, juvenile.  Reading reviews of the book from veterans praising Heller for his accurate portrayal of military life makes me even more annoyed.  If that is (was) an accurate portrayal of our military, how have we not been taken over by pretty much any other country on the planet?  A few times I had hopes that I was turning a corner and was on the up swing, but it would go right back to the childish conversations I'd grown accustomed to reading.  Reading descriptions of the book, made me want to like it.  I tried really hard to lighten up and see the humorous side, but when the end of the book turned our "hero" into a coward, I was let down yet again.  I'm glad to have finally finished the book after all this time, but I'm more than ready to move on to something that doesn't make me want to throw it across the room every time I pick it up!

No comments: