Friday, August 28, 2009

Long overdue thank you

Most of you know that Ben was born in respiratory distress and had to be transferred to Fairview Hospital NICU because Southwest Hospital wasn't equipped to give him the level of care he needed. He spent 9 days in the NICU. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, but if you have to go through it, I can't compliment Fairview enough. They have a state of the art facility with amazingly dedicated nurses. I loved one nurse in particular, Amy. She answered all of our questions, explained every machine, procedure and test result. She went out of her way to give us extra time to hold him (we weren't allowed to hold him for several days unless they were changing his bedding). I was always relieved when we got to the hospital and saw that she was working. It wasn't until a couple days after Ben was released that I realized Amys husband was detective Jonathan "A.J." Schroeder. He was killed on August 31, 2006 in the line of duty. 2 days after Ben was born, Amy lost her husband and somehow kept going to work every day to take care of Ben and our family. She was always positive, professional, reassuring, caring, comforting etc etc. I wouldn't have guessed she was going through such a traumatic experience. We never thanked her, until today. I think about her every now and then, but more so around Bens birthday. We didn't get to see her tonight, but were able to drop off a card and letter to finally express our thanks and apologize for her loss and the delay. We are so grateful to Amy and to Fairviews NICU. I'm sure they'll understand when I say we don't ever want to go back.

2 comments:

Prasti said...

wow. bless her heart...what a beautiful display of humility.

Melissa said...

What a wonderful story! I'm sure she appreciates the thanks even now.