Monday, December 7, 2009

Worth the miss

After running the 5k in October and coming so close to my original goal of under 30minutes, I decided to run another 5k. I picked the Reindeer Run which was last Saturday. I ran with 3 other girls (one of them had never run 3 straight miles before)! I was a little worried about this race. I wasn't sure how to balance wanting to hit my goal with wanting to make sure we hit the finish line together. I've been working on my distance running and have done a few 5k's on my own and have beat my 30minute goal. As Jon said, "its one thing to know you can do it, but its another to see it in black and white" especially when you're a bit competitive!
The more I thought about it the more I wanted to focus on staying together. I told Jon on Friday night I'll be ok if I don't finish under 30minutes. I just hope we don't miss it by like 15seconds. I'd rather it be a big miss.
On race day we FROZE--BIG TIME! It was so cold and seeing people in short shorts and tank tops made us feel that much colder. They had a record number of people participate (almost 800). We started slow and stayed together. We picked up the pace with each mile and by the end, I was so glad we stayed together. There was so much encouragement between the four of us, I would have missed out on so much if I attempted to break away. Unfortunately, race results were posted today. Here was my result:
                      Over      Chip           
Name         Bib No   all      Time       Pace
Jenna Purdum   3900    531    30:15.09     9:45/M
Yep, missed it by 15seconds!
The 15seconds stings a little bit, but looking back, I think it would have been so lonely to cross the finish line with out the entire team. I'll take 15seconds any day.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You are such an inspiration.

15 seconds- too funny.

Corrie said...

You all look so cold but happy. Glad you finished together, and only 15 seconds is no small feet - esp. with someone who had never run a full 3 miles before! Y'all rock!

Connie Krebs said...

Congratulations!! You are definitely an inspiration... now I feel compelled to get out there and run!