Monday, February 22, 2010

I survived!

We all know that I am not the crafty type. When people say things like knitting, diorama or even painting, my palms sweat a bit and I start to tune everyone out. When Ben and I started working on our letter of the month, I was able to embrace a very (very) small amount of crafts. Then I got a gift certificate to Pat Catans from my parents for Christmas. I was excited because I knew Ben would enjoy what ever we got there, but I was panicked because I knew I would have to go into the store to use it.
Luckily, I am surrounded by very crafty Purdum women. Corrie took me to Catans in Cleveland today. I didn't even know this one existed. It was huge, but she broke it down for me. We looked at the seasonal spot. I don't have to go too far past the front door if I don't want to. Then we headed to the kids isle. Ben loved asking about everything and occupied himself by spelling his and Sams name on the floor with big block letters. Corrie pointed out different things and gave me ideas on what to do with them. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Corrie figured out my fear/problem and once she said it, it all made sense. I have to remember I'm working with a 3 year old. I don't need to plan out big, detailed projects. A glue stick and some pom poms will make his day. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, all the matters is that he's doing something that makes him happy. What we got today will make him VERY happy.
We easily spent the gift certificate and then some. The real test will be putting everything we bought into practice and then seeing how long it takes to go back!
After Catans, we were starving so we met another friend out for pizza. It was delicious. The kids were great and Sam even let Aunt Corrie hold him. I think he has a new buddy!
Thank you Corrie for the tour, for turning the light bulb on for me and making today not at all painful!

3 comments:

Prasti said...

sorry to miss out on the "big trip," but it sounds like you did pretty good! did ben find the foam swords? emma always takes one out to swing around while we're there :)

Melissa said...

You're so funny! I'm sure Ben will have a great time crafting.

Corrie said...

I am so proud of you!!!!! And glad it wasn't too painful. I had a good time looking at the rows I usually don't wonder down (I'm usually making a bee-line to the yarn). I'll be excited to see what projects you come up with.

I so enjoyed the time with you and the boys. Getting to actually hold Sam without him crying, and getting to be "read" to were great!!