Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good to be home

Jon and I just finished our longest trip away from the boys---3 nights. Our current adoption agency has a required training class that was scheduled for last Friday so we decided to make a weekend out of the trip.
My mom picked up the boys Thursday afternoon so they could spend the weekend with Mo mo and Pa pa. I told the boys that morning that they were going on an adventure. They were very excited to help pack their suitcases and they were ready to go:
We headed down to Columbus, found our hotel and did some exploring. We headed to German Village and went to The Book Loft. Its 32 rooms filled to the ceiling with books. It was absolutely amazing and ridiculous all at the same time. It was getting late and stores were starting to close, but before heading back to the hotel, we checked out Ohio State University. The campus is amazing! Its big, full of brick buildings and beautiful. I was definitely in awe. We found the horseshoe and took some pictures.
Friday morning we were up early and ready to go to our 8am class. We got there, were showed to the room and no one was there. No one from the agency (the class was held at a church), no other families---no one. Just the guy that had to open the door. I got someone from the agency on the phone who told me the class didn't actually start until 10am!!!! We decided to head out to explore Columbus and kill some time. We headed back to OSU and got a better look in the day light. We drove downtown and back to German Village. A lot of Columbus is actually really nice. I don't know why I expected it wouldn't be, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The class went all day. We covered the steps of domestic adoption, met a birth mom and heard her story. We got some tips on how to interact with the birth mom and hospital do's and don'ts. It was definitely worth the trip. For more info go here.
We left the class and headed to Schmidts. For the entire 9 years that I have known my husband, anytime Columbus is mentioned, he starts daydreaming about Schmidts and tells me how awesome the restaurant is. Its in German Village and they tried to keep it as authentic as possible from the building itself to the waitress uniforms. Of course, the menu is all sausage--every type cooked in every possible way. It was not my favorite type of food, but Jon seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself and he was happy. We visited the chocolate shop across the street and got a carmel square covered in chocolate and sea salt. Then I was happy!
After dinner we were off to Dayton. We spent the night there and visited the Air Force Museum Saturday morning. We went last year with the boys. I know they would love to go back again, and I'm sure we'll take them soon, but it was nice to have the time to read and see what we wanted with out having to chase or entertain the kids. We took 1,001 pictures of airplanes and it was just to hard to narrow down which ones to post, so I'm only posting 1 plane picture. We'll be happy to have anyone over for a vacation slide show if they like. Or you can check out museum photos here. Or you can check out the post from last years visit here. I had to post a B17 because that is the plane that I got for my Sam tattoo.
After the museum, we headed home. We had been talking to the boys constantly and hearing about all of their adventures, but we were really starting to miss them. 24 hours until we would see them again.
PNC hosted an Indians game night last night. Employees got 2 free tickets and dinner before the game. We filled up on hot dogs, watched a few innings and then had enough. We came home and watched the Browns game. After hearing the score. I think we made the right choice!
After church this morning, we headed over to my parents house to get the boys. We walked in and said hi to them. They looked at us and went right back to what they were doing. It sucked, but we eventually got hugs, kisses and a little excitement so it was ok. Ben spent the ride home telling us about playing with pa pas DC-6 airplane, going to the mall, playing in the water and the rest of their adventures. To learn more about their weekend, go here.
Jon is on vacation this week so we are ready to spend some quality time together and have some adventures together.

No comments: