Thursday, August 12, 2010

I don't get it

The annual Art Walk was this past Saturday. A bunch of local artists took over Detroit Rd to show off their creations. We saw everything from paintings to pottery, jewelry to .....the just plain weird!
I get buying local and supporting local artists. What I don't get are the prices. For example, we stopped by one jewelry stand selling earrings for $92. They didn't have precious gems on them. They weren't even that pretty. If I went to Etsy, I could find something very similar for a fraction of the cost. We saw half picture/half paintings for over $1200 each. Seriously??? I need to take up a hobby!
Every stand we went to was crazy expensive. We go every year, but we refer to it as the art window shop because we can't afford any of the items! The boys each got a balloon and pop corn so they were happy. In the end, it was a nice morning out with the family. Thats really all that matters.

1 comment:

Prasti said...

i wonder if the artists have to pay for a table and so they jack up the prices of their items to offset the cost of the table/booth? i just got an e-mail inviting me to participate in a holiday show but having a table costs $100 for the whole day. i think that's pretty steep, and i don't want to jack up my prices just to break even.