Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Walmartinization of America"

I had a professor in college that taught my Vice and Organized Crime Class and Child Sexual Abuse. Two completely different topics, but somehow he managed to give the same lecture in each class. It didn't stop with just one lecture. Out of 15 classes, at least 3-4 lectures were titled "Walmartinization of America" Basically, he taught that Walmart is a big bad corporation and is the cause for shutting down many mom and pop stores. This guy really hated Walmart and everything it stood for. I don't think I've met anyone that could hate a store so much (Aaron and Prasti are a close second)! I should have paid better attention. I don't go out of my way to shop at Walmart. I've probably been there once in the past year, but I've never been opposed to going there...until now. Jon and I found a dresser we liked for Spud. Walmart happened to have it for a lot cheaper so we ordered it on line. The top of the confirmation e mail stated we would have it in 10 days. The bottom of the e mail said it would be delivered by 9-9-08. Well, after not hearing from them, I called the store yesterday (20 days after the order was placed). They had no record of me or my order. They gave me the on line number who said they had the order, but have no information on where the dresser is or when it will arrive. After a couple more phone calls and losing some brain cells due to talking to a bunch of morons, I gave up for the night. This morning, I started again and was finally informed that the dresser never shipped, they have no idea why and by the way, its now out of stock! I can confidently say I will never shop at Walmart again. So now we're back to square one with only 5 weeks to go.

Speaking of 5 weeks to go.. I had another doctor apt today. We did another non stress test and Spud passed this one with flying colors! He is doing great and still measuring a week ahead of schedule. He has been rough on me this past week. I've had a lot more aches and pains. While talking to the doctor, she got my hopes up. She told me at 38 weeks we could strip my membranes. That usually causes you to go into labor in 24-48hrs. Since its not guaranteed to put you into labor, its "legal" to do before the 39th week. The risk of lung problems only goes up from 1% at 39 weeks to 4% at 38 weeks. I was starting to consider it, then she remembered I'm doing a c-section and she wont strip them if I'm not going natural. As excited as I am about having Spud, I'm so ready to not be pregnant anymore. The thought of 5 more weeks seems like an eternity. I'm sure that when the 5 weeks is up all the little problems, pains etc will vanish instantly!

Back to Ben. Not much new to report. Other than a day or two with no naps, he's been excellent. We have play group tomorrow at a new park so we'll be sure to get some pics.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

I am SO glad to hear that the non-stress test came back normal so you don't have to have those worries at the top of your mind. Answered prayers!

Prasti said...

maybe God has something better for you than the dresser @ Wal-Mart ;)