Monday, September 20, 2010

Shouldn't be this hard

High Sierra Collection
Jon and I have been looking at bunk beds for a couple weeks now. We've been to a few stores and found 3 that I like. However, they all have their own issues.
Issue #1: Price. We don't want to get big and beautiful because 2 boys are going to be using them. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that will be abused. We found great deals on all sets, however, they don't tell you that the price is just for the frame. If you want the stairs or ladder that goes with the beds, its extra. If you want the drawers underneath, extra. Oh, and don't forget about the mattresses, sheets and comforter!
The set in the first picture is my favorite. The problem with this one is we can't find a store that has it in stock, so we can't see the actual product. It looks beautiful (especially for the price), but I'd really like to see it in person and have the boys climb on it. Also, the bottom bed looks high making it hard for Sam to get in to. I know he wont be little for ever, but he will be little for a while.
The set in the second picture is Jons favorite. Its a bit shorter, which is nice. Its the cheapest, which is really nice. However, they warned us that this is pine, which is soft and easily messed up. I have 2 issues with this one: if we decide to separate the top and bottom, I think the top bed will just look weird on its own. Also, I'd like to get a bigger dresser for the boys room and the dressers that go with this set look cheap and ugly!
I didn't see a picture of the third set we like on line, but its a compromise of the two. We saw it set up as a twin over twin bed. I'd really like to get a twin over full. I'm sure it wouldn't be much different than what we saw, but I can't picture things-- I have to see them.
We are at a stand still. Ben is begging us to get a bunk bed for him and we are still trying to wrap our heads around the fact that this will cost twice what we first imagined--isn't that always the case?!?!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We're having similar issues except with chicken coops. Ladder= extra, roost=extra, nesting boxes=extra. I think we're going to build ours. I know, it's exactly the same thing, lol. Have you seen the kind with the stairs like this one?
http://www.furnituretent.com/servlet/the-3976/Google-Shopping-Allentown-Espresso-Twin-Twin-Storage-Bunk-Bed-with-Trundle/Detail

I got a flyer with a bunch of these styles. It seems like it would be a little easier to get down for any middle of the night potty trips.